Sunday, July 25, 2010

Lost my I-Tunes-up

Tim Here:
Well, somewhere in my phnom penh sojourns my Norton Antivirus was sabotaged. I tried everything known to me and the support teams on line, but to no avail.....Had to do a complete system re-install. Now normally that would be stressfull all by itself, but it is more stressfull because there is no way to call anyone here because the phones are all set up for local calls only.

So.... I backed up all pertinant files on my Seagate external drive and felt pretty prepared. I give the command and away we go! Well, Good news is that no more pesky little virus changing things here and there. Bad news- I lost my I-tunes and when I dragged the file back over to the C drive, No way to get I-tunes working again. I have all my sound libraries but no way to load it up and install it. I tried 4 times from the internet at Apples I tunes website, but at about 8 kb/s it times out and loses the signal somewehere on the 2nd hour of downloading the 93mb file... It is at times like these that you want to smack anyone who ever complains about their Cable Speed being too slow! Oh, the joys of DSL/Dial-up. The funny thing is that this is considered High Speed in Cambodia.. LOL. Still, even though I am venting in my blog, I am very thankful that I have any service at all.

God is good! Technology..., Not so much! I was just thinking that technology is mans way of trying to do some of the things God does. The difference is God can do it all, and so much more without having to plug in anything, or wait for anything to download. And speed is not a problem because his speed is immediate and instantaneous.... Oh I long for Heaven!

Factoid 1: If you come to Cambodia bring a normal everyday decent towel with you. The towels here kind of fall apart and slowly turn to into little balls of lint everywhere. They are paper thin.
Factoid 2: Most all pots and pans are made out of aluminum. I'm not sure about the health factors involved in cooking on Aluminum but everyone here seems to be doing fine.
Factoid 3: If you have ever lived in Hawaii, the pricing structure for things here is pretty similar. If you go native = cheap/affordable.....If you try to keep your western lifestyle in food and shopping = go broke quick!
Factoid 4: Spiders can be as big as a grown mans hand and they do bite... Shake out your clothes!
Factoid 5: Ants are insanely voracious and completely ruthless. If you spill even a crumb and don't clean it up you will wake up with "the black swarm in the morning. Actually you can have the Swarm in about an hour!
Factoid 6: Car chases in the movies where they are going the wrong way against traffic? Cambodians yawn and go to sleep during these scenes because for them you are simply filming normal driving conditions!
Factoid 7: When you pay $2.50 per ride to just about anywhere in phnom penh, you become an avid proponent of walking everywhere. I put in about 2-3 miles a day just to and from things in the market and the store and visiting vendors in the market square.
Factoid 8: If you didn't see them cook it and its not flaming on the end of a stick, don't eat it. Fresh is best!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome Tim! :) Great outlook! Love the "Factoids". :)
    prayers and hugs,
    kristi

    ReplyDelete