Saturday, April 23, 2011

This is What it's all About!

Cynthia here...

I'm skyping my mom (who lives in the States) about 8 p.m. and my cell phone rings. I look at the number and it's not on my contact list, but I recognize it as one one of students who calls me quite often. :) I tell my mom, "Hold on mom, this is probaby one of my students."

Now you're probably thinking...gosh you're skyping your MOM! Your students can wait, or call back. But...I have this feeling I should answer it. Besides, my students are kind of like my kids! That's how you end up feeling towards your students when you're a teacher :)

Anyways....with my mom hanging on, I answer my phone. Sure enough it's one of my little kids.
A weepy, whispery voice says, "Mrs. Jones, I have a prayer request for Monday."
Everyone morning for devotions, we sing some songs, then take prayer requests and pray.
Me: "What is it sweetie?"
Student: "My bird died."
Me: "Oh no, what happened?"
She proceeds to tell what happened.
Me: "I'm so sorry, I know you are sad. It's ok to be sad about it and to cry. It'll help you feel better. We can pray about it on Monday, but can I pray for you right now?"
She says yes and I pray for her.
We talk a litte more, she thanks me and says goodbye.

This is what it's all about at Logos and that's what Tim and I love best about teaching at Logos. Sure the education is important and they have high expectations for the students. But the most important thing is the relationship we build with the students - our "kids." Logos encourages relationship building; it is only then will they trust us and only then can we have an impact on them. Through the relationships, God will reach them. How cool is THAT? Very cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment