Friday, December 10, 2010

Sat morn in Phnom Penh

Cynthia here....
Aaahhh....a beautiful Saturday morning here in the city! As we lay in bed trying to sleep in, the morning begins for us. We hear the megaphone speakers nearby blaring some Cambodian music and then people talking (into the microphones). It's hard to get the real picture here, but the sounds are so loud it's like they are yelling right into your windows! We have the windows and doors closed, the fans on, but it doesn't help. The din permeates into your house and into your senses. You either have to laugh and accept or go mad (crazy)! It's probably a wedding. Weddings, funerals, and birthdays are celebrated with gusto here, depending on much money you have of course. :)
They put up huge tents/canopies in the streets, blocking the streets of course, and have huge parties - all very noisy. Saturday seems to be the favorite day, but of course this can happen any day or hour. :)
Yummy...I just had a mango for snack. Ok, I feel better now :) I LOVE mangos. You can get them all year round here, but they are green until just recently. You can get ripe ones now. Cambodians love the green ones. I tried one, but it makes my lips burn, so....I wait til they get ripe. :)
Well, gotta get to work on my report cards, while my laundry is washing. After I get laundry out, off the bookstore I go! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment