Saturday, December 18, 2010

Ponderings....and Pics

Cynth here....
As I sit here on the couch typing it's hard to believe it's Christmas time. Well, the weather the last two days has cooled off to 70s so that helps; I just felt a nice cool breeze through the window! And you see some Christmas decorations around town (but usually in the stores or restaurants that cater to Westerners). I didn't bring any decorations from home and since we are leaving for the Christmas holidays, I just didn't want to invest in any.

I've always felt this way, but this year while spending Christmas in a 3rd world country it is even more prounounced - just spending time with family is more important than the gifts, etc.

Here Christmas is definitely less busy, you don't have the shops all decorated and advertising that one gift you absolutely have to have. You don't see the materialism that you see in the States. It's easier to be still here..."be still and know that I am God." Here, without the busyness of Christmas shopping, baking, etc you can sit and relax and ponder the real reason for the season.

But then again, I do miss looking for that perfect gift for a loved one, thinking should I get this one or that one? Hmm, which color would they like best, etc. I had to order Christmas gifts for my kids and grandkids online this year and I didn't get to watch them open them - that's the best part! I didn't get to put up all my decorations - all the crafts I've kept over the years that the boys did when they were young. They are all packed away sitting in someone else's shed or basement! This is the first year I haven't been around family for Thanksgiving or Christmas and it's very hard!!

There are some unique things I've done and will get to do this year that I've never done before. Like to go to fancy hotel. Last weekend I went out with some other ladies in the Bible Study group I attend. We went to a VERY fancy hotel (even in American standards). They had little boutiques, where we looked at $300 dresses and gasped! Where we bought small desserts, for $3.50 and then took them to the Elephant bar in the hotel and sat and visited. When we walked into the bar and lounge it was so strange to see all these white people around - and the only Cambodians around were the staff! It felt wierd and I felt out of place, like I didn't belong. I've always felt out of place in real fancy places :) but this was extra wierd because everywhere I've been in the last 5 months, I've been the one who stands out it a sea of brown faces. :)

When we first walked into the hotel lounge, I was stunned at the extravagance! And right outside on the streetes you have people who don't have anything to eat. The Christmas tree was tall and beautiful! It was brought from Austria! Here's a pic of it below. Notice my tropical sundress and flip flops! LOL Also they had poinsettias all over the hotel lounge - beautiful! They grow here up in the mountains where it's a little cooler. :)
Well, there's more to our Christmas season, it's not over yet! So there'll be more pics and more ponderings later....
By the way, our blog will be our Christmas letter this year. Everyone has our link or is on our FB so y'all can just come on here and stay updated on our Christmas wanderings!! Love to all our family and friends!!



No comments:

Post a Comment