Thursday, October 20, 2011

New Opportunities, Renewed Vision

Sorry, I forgot and wrote the words first, then added the photos. So you'll need to scroll down and read the words first to figure out what's going on and then scroll back up to see the pics. :)

Playground out front

Front gate, looking from the inside. This is where the kids wait to get picked up and where they play.

The hall downstairs, leading to two classes and the office. On the left is one of the 4 year old classes.

The office is through that door

Looking at the swimming pool from the balcony upstairs
Swimming pool view from the hallway downstairs

One of the kindergarten classes on the right

Inside one of the kdg classes

One of 4-year old classes

Another 4-year old class

Well, once again, God is moving in amazing ways here in Cambodia and has plunked a new adventure into our path!

Just to backtrack a bit...as all of you know Tim and I, Cynthia, arrived in Phnom Penh, Cambodia in July of 2010 to teach at Logos International School, a ministry of Asian Hope. Tim taught various subjects to many different grades. I taught third grade. :)

This school year, 2011 - 2012, Tim's position changed. We are both still at Logos, but Tim is now MS/HS counselor and teaches 10th gr History and 10th gr English. He is also coordinating weekly Chapels and a weekly devotional time. I still teach third grade...FOR NOW

This is where the new opportunity comes into place...

Last week I was offered, and accepted, a new position with Asian Hope - as Principal of KinderCare! KinderCare is a Preschool and Kindergarten school serving Khmer families. KinderCare is meant to supplement their education and work in tandem with the Khmer school they already attend. Curriculum is taught in English and the teachers and assistant teachers speak English. KinderCare is kind of special because it was the first school that Asian Hope started back in 2000. The photos above are of KinderCare. You can go to http://www.asianhope.org/kindercare-school to read more about it!

The school day consists of two half days. Teachers are full time, but they get two different sets of kids, one in the a.m. and one in the afternoon. Some will stay all day. What happens is those who attend KinderCare in the a.m. will attend their Khmer school in the afternoon and those who attend KinderCare in the afternoon, will attend Khmer school in the morning. Currently there are 4 classes - 2 kindergartens and 2 4-year old classes. And one morning 3-yr old class beginning in Dec.!

I will stay in my current job teaching 3rd grade until January at which time I hope to change over to the Principal position. If they can't find a teacher to replace me, I will stay with the 3rd grade until they do so. KinderCare is all the way across town from where we live now and from Logos school, about a 25 minute drive by moto. So, we are planning to move to that area. Tim would rather commute than have me commute that distance. We hope to find an apt close enough to the school so I can walk or bike, but we will most likely buy a second moto. There will be times that I will need to drive myself to meetings, etc and Tim will not be able to moto me around since he will be busy with his own job across town. I am nervous about driving a moto in this traffic, but God has protected us thus far and He will continue to do so. :)

The day I was formally offered the job, I told God that if He wanted me to take this position, that He would have to work out all the details. I was not going to worry and stress over this.

One major obstacle is our current home. We are under contract at this house for another 7 months. The day after I met with the Asian Hope CEO and was offered the job, we got an e-mail from our landlord. They said due to some financial concerns, they are having to sell their house! Thus....once the house sells, our contract will be null and void. We couldn't believe it. Isn't God amazing? What an answer to prayer.

I am so excited about this new opportunity. I had expressed to my current principal that I was wanting to get out of the classroom full time and work into a more administrative position, but I definitely was NOT thinking principal of a school! Yikes. But one thing I've learned is God knows what He is doing and for some reason He wants me there! There are great challenges awaiting me and renewed vision as well. I look forward to serving the staff, and the families at KinderCare.

With my background as an educator, my focus will be on the teachers, the students and their families. My vision is for the teachers to know they are supported and appreciated and parents to know they do have a voice and their opinions count. I want to see KinderCare become a professional, safe, and unified environment for both staff and students. As we manage with integrity and purpose to love others with God's love, I can't wait to see how God uses KinderCare in this community!

You know, it seems as if God works quickly in Tim's and my life. I wonder if it is because if He waits too long, then we would think about it too long and would never do it! Ha Ha

Thank you for your continued prayers and support for us. Please continue to do so, as I begin this new job in a couple months. God is good and I know He will give me the strength, energy, and wisdom I will need in this new ministry!

If you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail me or message me on FB.

God bless,
Cynthia, for the both of us

1 comment:

  1. Awesome news Sis! Great photos!! Looks wonderful!!

    kristi

    PS..always good to hear from you guys. thanks for the updates!!

    ReplyDelete